Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) with DOT HAZMAT
$195 per person
This course is designed for those individuals tasked with managing hazardous wastes and complying with generator status as defined by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), ensuring that the treatment, storage, and disposal of wastes is handled properly within the regulatory requirements. This course also applies to those who handle hazardous wastes for transportation purposes, transferring from the generator to the disposal facility. This course meets the requirements by the Department of Transportation’s 49 CFR 172.704(c)(2) standard, with the focus on providing a hazmat employee with the general provisions of the regulations so that each hazmat employee can recognize and identify hazardous materials, having the knowledge about the specific requirements as they relate to their job functions. In addition, emergency response information, self-protection measures, and accident prevention methods and procedures are discussed. All persons who handle, prepare for shipment, complete documentation and/or sign paperwork, or have a responsibility in the HAZMAT safety of individuals must be trained according to these standards.
Upon completion of this course a student will be able to:
- Understand regulatory requirements from both EPA and DOT, as well as any other applicable standards or guidelines.
- Understand hazardous materials characterization, hazardous waste determination, EPA hazard categories, and chemical characteristics, as well as waste management protocols.
- Identify PPE needs and requirements.
- Navigate and understand the Emergency Response Guidebook.
- Understand emergency response, safety, and security protocols.
- Understand treatment, storage, and disposal requirements.
- Understand generator classifications and accumulation requirements and manage hazardous waste inventories properly.
- Understand the importance of and methods for proper communications, including all reporting requirements.
- Understand the importance of shipping papers and how to properly complete them.
- Understand packaging and placarding requirements.
- Introduction and Regulations Overview
- Hazardous Waste Determination
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Emergency Response Guidebook
- Establishing Zones for Hazardous Materials Emergency Response
- Hazardous Waste Mixtures, Treatment, Storage, and Disposal
- Generator Classifications
- Management of Containers an Inspections
- Reporting Requirements
- Universal Wastes
- Waste Management
- Emergency Procedures
- DOT HAZMAT Overview
- Review and Summary
COURSE OUTLINE RCRA:
- Introduction to the Hazard Classes
- Intermediate Bulk Containers (IBCs)
- Shipping Papers
- Additional Requirements
- Placarding Requirements
- Security Plans
*For more information please see the individual course descriptions and outlines.